Monday, February 21, 2011

Hearing From God Through Dreams

Hearing is such a crucial element in your walk with God, but many Christians I talk to either say they don't hear, or they're unhappy with the level at which they're hearing.  I know I'm never satisfied.  There are a lot of ways that God speaks but I can tell you how I started, which is through dreams.

Most of us are so busy and in environments so full of distractions that God can't get a word in edgewise.  But when you're asleep, you're fair game.

Contrary to popular belief, dreams do not come from pizza and pickles.  They come from three sources; God, Satan and your own soul.  All three sources contain information that you want to have.  You can pray against the Satanic prophesies, soulish dreams reveal the condition of your heart and obviously you want to hear what God has for you.  I believe most if not all of my dreams are from God, but I believe that is so because I value them, I ask for them and I record them.  I never had dreams like these before when I didn't know that I could dream like Joseph or Solomon or Abraham or Jacob.  But God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and He is no respecter of persons.  Any experience you see someone in the Bible having, you can potentially have that.  So how do you have dreams from God?

  1. Repent of calling them pizza dreams or whatever tactic you've used to devalue them.  
  2. Tell God you want to hear from Him and only Him through your dreams.  Tell Him to wake you up as soon as He gives you one so you can write it down.  
  3. When you wake up, go write it down!  That sounds like a no-brainer but when you're groggy and comfy and operating under the delusion that you'll remember in the morning, the prevailing drive is to go back to sleep.  The truth is, you probably won't remember the whole thing, and if you don't care enough to write it down, God will stop bothering you and let you sleep.  He's a nice guy that way.
  4. Ask for an interpretation.  Don't try to reason it out right away.  Ask.  Grogginess seems to facilitate hearing.  Don't be discouraged if you don't get an answer right away.  I have interpretations come over a period of days although lots are immediate.  
There is a lot to Christian dream interpretation that is beyond this blog, but study the dreams in the Bible, study the parables and pay attention to symbology whenever you read.  It will help you develop metaphorical thinking skills.  What you don't want to do is use a secular method for interpreting dreams from God.

Some resources that have helped me are Understanding Dreams & Visions and Don't Stop Dreaming, which is a 3 CD teaching for $15. Send an email for more info on that one.  Both are great dream teachings with very little overlap, those will take you a long way.  Barbie Breathitt has some biblically based dream symbol cards that are expensive, but I recommend you at least get the one that explains the meanings of colors, as you'll use that daily.

I volunteer at a dream interpretation site called "Now Interpret This!" You can post your dreams and see what other interpreters think.  It's a good place to learn and practice. 

Related post :  Message from God in a Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment